Carouge Lighting Plan (Switzerland)
" Carouge - follow the thread "
Client: Town of Carouge
Years : 2014-2015
Design team: RADIANCE 35 ScPRL, in association with Bfluid (for the analysis)
Scope of appointment : Full appointment (scheme design)
The design process comprises 3 “acts”: the analysis, the concept and the preliminary schemes (place du Marché, place de l’Octroi and the Tours-Noirettes sector)
The aim of the Lighting Plan is twofold:
- To keep pace with the current rapid transformation of Carouge (numerous urban projects of all sizes and of varying time-scale).
- To reconstitute the nocturnal territory, by simultaneously highlighting its historical features (the 18th Century “new town”), and the future (the new projects).
The principle of “re-constitution” is to build up superimposing “layers”:
- The “distant” landmarks layer - To single out the Carouge skyline
- The “heritage” landmarks layer
- The “near” landmarks layer - Creating ties between the neighbourhoods
- The “background” layer: street lighting - To treat the background in a equitable manner
The study was further enhanced by two specific procedures:
- An exploratory night walk in May 2014
- A full-scale test of light fittings installed on the Promenades pedestrian walkway in September 2014 (for one year) with public consultation.